AUSTIN, Texas — The City of Austin Watershed Protection Department says the toxin from blue green algae has once again shown up in samples taken from Lady Bird Lake.
University of Texas researchers have confirmed the presence of dihydroanatoxin within the algae samples from Festival Beach and Red Bud Isle taken on July 14th.
That toxin is one of several that can be produced by the blue green algae, and is the same toxin that was present in the lake last year.
At least five dogs died after swimming in Lady Bird Lake during the summer of 2019.
The city says the toxin is contained within the algae and has not been released into the water, meaning that currently exposure to the toxin would occur through touching or ingesting the algae, not through contact with the water.
Still, the City of Austin is recommending dog owners not allow their pets to swim in or drink from Lady Bird Lake.
Additional signage is being placed along Lady Bird Lake to help alert the public to the presence of toxins.