Man found dead after SWAT call at South Austin home

The Austin Police Department's SWAT team was called out to a neighborhood off South 1st Street Monday evening. (CBS Austin)

UPDATE 10 p.m.: Authorities say the SWAT situation on Fontana Drive in South Austin is now resolved. Neighbors are being allowed back into their homes.

Austin Police say the SWAT team made entry into the home after sending in a robot. They found a deceased male inside with trauma to his body. He was the only person in the home. Homicide detectives are interviewing the woman who is hospitalized. They don't know how many people were involved in this incident. They're calling it a "suspicious death."

Detectives are still investigating the lead-up to this SWAT situation and death.

"We have many detectives on scene. We have homicide detectives speaking to family, neighbors, trying to figure out what happened here. Detectives are also speaking to the female victim to get a little more of what happened," said APD Officer Bino Cadenas.

Earlier in the evening, neighbors said they have never seen anything like this.

“I’ve lived off South 1st for seven years. We don’t see that much, definitely not SWAT," said Abby Alderete.

APD initially believed the man inside the home could have been a danger to officers and the neighborhood.

“After running some involvement with our APD database, we believed him to have weapons, and as a precaution being so near to the school, we initiated a SWAT callout," Cadenas said.

APD evacuated nearby homes, and AISD Police had officers stationed at nearby Dawson Elementary School, because children were still inside for after school programs.

Further details were not immediately available.



The Austin Police Department's SWAT team was called out to a neighborhood off South 1st Street Monday evening.

It happened at approximately 4 p.m. in the 300 block of Fontana Drive, a residential street behind Dawson Elementary School.

Police say a 911 caller reported that his female neighbor knocked on his door with severe trauma to her face. EMS medics transported the victim to South Austin Medical Center. Police say she suffered blunt force trauma to the head and face. She required surgery, but her injuries are not expected to be life threatening.

The woman's boyfriend is refusing to exit the home. Police say they believe he may have weapons -- and nearby homes have been evacuated as a precaution as they try to get him to surrender.

Further details were not immediately available. This developing story will be updated.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off