62 thefts reported at ACL Music Festival during first weekend
If you're going to the Austin City Limits Music Festival this weekend, make sure to secure your belongings.
Austin Police say they received 62 reports of theft at the festival last weekend.
Most of the thefts were pickpocketing, and the most stolen item was a cell phone.
Police said thieves power them down or put them on airplane mode so you can't track them. Police say you should keep your phone or wallet in a front pocket or a fanny pack.
No arrests have been made in these thefts. Anyone with information is asked to call Region IV Detectives at 512-974-8100.
The Austin Police Department encourages festivalgoers to do the following:
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially in crowds
- Keep your phone and ID/credit cards/cash in separate places on your person
- Phones sticking out of back pockets or backpacks are not secure
- Keep property in a defensible location (front pocket, fanny pack) or leave it at home
- Record serial number information for your device and keep it separate
- Notify on-site security/APD immediately for assistance
- Utilize APD’s online reporting site, or 311 (non-emergency to report a theft
- If you see something, say something