Firefighters contain NW Austin blaze during winter storm
Firefighters were able to quickly contain a blaze in Northwest Austin on Thursday night as snow flurries moved through the area.
The fire was isolated to the garage and attic at a home on Swallow Street in a neighborhood off Anderson Mill Road. The Austin Fire Department said the occupants of the home were able to get out without any reported injuries.
Division Chief Palmer Buck said a metal roof in the garage "hampered" crews as it held the fire in. "The shingles were hot enough to catch fire but they weren't able to vent because the metal roof was holding that in, so that smoke was being pushed down on the firefighters," he said
The responding fire station was less than a half a mile away allowing crews to get to the home in approximately two minutes.
Across the street, neighbor Debbie Bell said she heard "a couple bangs" and her husband called 911.
"I was scared to death because (the fire) was just billowing out of there. I've never seen that many flames so quickly," she said. "We were tyring to watch the snow and you couldn't do that, all you could do was see the smoke."
Buck said AFD usually sees a "pretty big uptick in fires" when the temperature hits below freezing. AFD reminds homeowners to make sure to keep warm safely, giving enough room to space heaters, extinguish candles, avoid using alternative heating methods that are unsafe, like open flames on a stove.